Welcome to City Kitchen!

For food lovers and home cooks. Love to those with a city kitchen!

Monday, October 17, 2011

Apple Raspberry Crumble


I was in the mood for something sweet today and I came up with this dessert while rummaging my fridge. I love to create new recipes based solely on what I happen to have in the fridge and pantry that day. I guess I would call it my own personal version of Chopped. I’m not going to lie, sometime my concoctions turn out to be a total disaster that aren’t even dog bowl worthy but this time I knocked it out of the park! It’s pretty easy to assemble but I had a hard time waiting for the hour cooking time. The end result, a delicious, gooey and crispy dessert (which I actually ate for lunch) that leaves your house smelling amazing! Hope you enjoy!

Apple Raspberry Crumble

Makes two individual servings

2 Apples Chopped (I used Honey Crisp, use what you like best)
¼ cup dried cranberries
½ tsp cinnamon
1 T corn starch
2 T sugar
1/8 tsp salt
Raspberry Sauce (recipe follows)
Crumble topping (recipe follows)

* I used wild blueberry muffin for the instant oatmeal in this recipe because it is what I had on hand. Use what ever flavor combination you like best, you really can’t go wrong.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix until apples are evenly coated. Spray 2 individual sized baking dishes with cooking spray and divide apple mixture evenly among the two. Top with the crumble and place both baking dishes on a baking sheet. Bake in the oven for 1hour. Allow to cool for about 15 minutes before serving. Serve al mode or just how it is, your choice.

For the Crumble Topping
¼ cup flour
¼ tsp cinnamon
2 T sliced almonds
1 packet of instant flavored oatmeal
2 T chilled butter cubed

Add all ingredients to a bowl and microwave for about 15 seconds to slightly melt the butter. Cut the butter into the crumble until well incorporated.

For the Raspberry Sauce
1 pint of raspberries
Juice of 1 lemon
¼ cup sugar
3 T water

Put all ingredients into a sauce pan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 20 minutes. If sauce appears too thick add more water. The sauce should have a syrup consistency. Place sauce through a strainer to remove seeds.



No comments:

Post a Comment