Welcome to City Kitchen!

For food lovers and home cooks. Love to those with a city kitchen!

Monday, October 17, 2011

My Favorite Philadelphia Cocktails

Friday nights are my night to relax and enjoy the end of a long work week and my favorite way to do that....sip on a delicious cocktail at a great bar of course! I’m not talking about the usual cocktail mixed with fruit juice and liquor; I’m talking about the type of cocktail where you find yourself savoring every last sip and licking the glass when its gone. These cocktails are smooth and strong and I recommend taking your time to enjoy every drop because they don't come cheap. I will say however, they are totally worth the extra coin considering the alcohol content. You only need a few to get you to that relaxed state of mind. SO GOOD!!!! Try them out and let me know what you think.

The first cocktail comes from one of my favorite Philadelphia Restaurants, Parc by Steven Starr.

The Basilic
An herb infused drink made with muddled basil and cucumber and shaken to perfection with Elderflower liquor and vodka, served over ice. This may sound like something you are more likely to find in a garden salad than a snifter glass but this drink is crisp and refreshing with just a hint of sweetness.

My second favorite cocktail also comes from a Steven Starr Restaurant, The Dandelion Pub. What can I say; the guy makes a great drink.

Pimms Deluxe
Another cucumber cocktail shaken with Gin and Pimms Cup Liquor. I love the flavor of Pimms cup, it is completely unique and adds great flavor to this cocktail. A bit on the stiff side but still very smooth with a slightly sweet taste. Served up in a martini glass and garnished with a slice of cucumber.

This last cocktail can be found at a number of Philadelphia bars but the ones I have found to do it best are The Ranstead Room by Steven Starr, The Corner located on South 13th street and The Farmer's Cabinet located on 11th and Walnut. This cocktail is not listed on any of  their drink menus but the bartenders do a fantastic job making it.

The Avaition,
My all time favorite cocktail! A sweet and sour combination of Gin, Crème de Violette, Maraschino liquor and lemon juice. This classic cocktail was first made in the early 1900's and can be difficult to find due to the use of Crème de Violette which is a very unique liquor. It should turn out a cloudy pale blue/purple color when shaken and strained. If you are handed a deep purple drink it is wrong and very disappointing....which has happened to me on a number of occasions.

THE AVIATION

No comments:

Post a Comment