Welcome to City Kitchen!

For food lovers and home cooks. Love to those with a city kitchen!

Thursday, October 6, 2011

My City Kitchen

     Let me start by saying "I love the City and I love food!!”  So initially when I began my search for the perfect city apartment a great kitchen was on the top of my list. I was quickly taken down a peg when my realtor informed me that unless I was willing to spend an obscene amount of money every month, an amazing kitchen would have to move to the bottom of my list.  All I could think was that my passion for cooking might have to be replaced with my passion for eating out.....which is not the best solution if you’re the type of person with champagne taste on a beer budget. As I began my search my main focus was to find a kitchen that had working appliances and leg room.  I'm sure this may not seem like a daunting task but you’re wrong, very wrong.

     Thirty apartments later and I was beginning to lose my last bit of hope on ever finding a livable and workable space. I started to consider a third job and selling blood....I was getting desperate. The day I found my perfect apartment was a complete accident. I was in center city to view a space that my realtor had suggested. The apartment was on the fourth floor of a brown stone which could only be reached by climbing the very steep fire escape located in the back alley until the front entrance was repaired (which I was told would be another 4 months!)...I seriously thought he was joking when he brought me around back and started climbing. I'm pretty sure that my open mouth and my blank star was a clear indication that this was an unacceptable option. How the heck was I going to get groceries into this place?!? This guy was off his rocker.

     I made an excuse that I wasn't feeling well and needed to go home. He immediately registered my panic and started climbing back down responding with "Wait, wait, wait! I actually have another listing right around the corner that just came on the market today but isn't ready to be shown. I might be able to take you in for a quick peak." Finally! A bit of hope.

     Anyone who has ever been apartment hunting knows the good ones always get taken early so I was extremely eager to be the first to view the space. We walked 3 short blocks and I was lead up a stoop to a beautiful brownstone. I loved everything about it immediately! The apartment was small, around 600 square feet but completely refinished! It had brand new never used appliances and faux granite counter tops. There was plenty of cabinet space and a dishwasher!! This was turning into the happiest day of my life! I said yes immediately and signed my lease shortly after. I had so much fun decorating and designing the space. The end result was my kitchen masterpiece and has been my favorite place to spend my spare time. I have only been here for two months but I have already hosted two dinner parties, made amazing braised leeks with chicken, seared pork belly with pineapple, a grilled lobster and octopus salad with a lemon-caper vinaigrette and baked amazing maple pecan banana bread.

     I can't wait to spend the next few years inventing new recipes, hosting great dinner parties and sharing my food with the people I love, especially my amazing fiancé who always nominates himself for dish duty. I love to cook and eat and I want to share my passion in hopes to get others inspired to be their kitchens top chef. So that’s my story and I can't wait to start posting my food experiences. Stay tuned.
Kitchen Before


Kitchen Before

 Kitchen After

Kitchen After

No comments:

Post a Comment